Linguistics has always interested me: in fact I initially planned to study it at University.
Links and resources #
- This incredibly extensive dictionary of terms in science fiction from books, TV and popular culture.
- About Palawa Kani, a reconstructed language that combines features from many extinct and related Tasmanian Aboriginal languages. There is an attempt to create a sort of new lingua franca with it.
- Uncleftish Beholding, a description of atomic theory which shows what English might have looked like if it had no words of non-Germanic origin. Loved this.
- The “Bouba/kiki” effect, which suggests that the way things are named is not arbitrary but related to physical properties of the object being named.
- The Norweigan language conflict, a really interesting and long culture war in Norway about which version of their language should be the “real” Norweigan.